Almost everyone has a favorite color. Whether it is blue or green, pink or yellow, there are hundreds upon hundreds of colors out there. Every color has a direct impact on your emotional state. Color actually connects mentally and can alter your mood and affect your subconscious, all without you even knowing it.
Stores and restaurants incorporate color into the design in order to affect your mood. Fast-food restaurants typically use brighter colors on the outside, such as red, orange and yellow, because not only are these warm and happy colors, because these colors connect with your desire to eat. Then again, once you enter, they often have a cool color pallet of blues, grays and other subtle colors. This is to make it feel cold, which mentally makes you want to leave. Fast-food chains use this technique to get you in to buy food. Then once inside they want you to leave quickly in order to make room for other customers.
While you do not need to paint your house different colors in hopes of inviting people in, only to have them want to leave quickly, different colors can and will affect your mood. So when you are looking at house painting, it is a good idea to already know what the different colors are going to do for your mood, before selecting them for your home.
Understand that colors behave in three basic ways: active, passive, and neutral. You can easily match every room’s colors to your personal desires, to your taste and to the room’s purpose. Light colors are expansive and airy, making rooms seem larger and brighter. Dark colors are sophisticated and warm; they give large rooms a more intimate appearance. Now let’s find out more about colors and what they can do to a room. While many colors often create different feelings, emotions and moods, these are the most common colors and the types of moods they create:
- Red: power, passion, warm - The most emotionally intense color, red stimulates a faster heartbeat and breathing. In decorating, red is usually used as an accent.
- Blue: soothing, tranquil - The color of the sky and the ocean, blue is one of the most popular colors. It causes the opposite reaction as red. Peaceful, tranquil blue causes the body to produce calming chemicals. People are more productive in blue rooms.
- Purple: dramatic, restful - In its darkest values (eggplant, for example) is rich, dramatic, and sophisticated. It is associated with luxury as well as creativity. Lighter versions of purple, such as lavender and lilac, bring the same restful quality to bedrooms as blue does, but without the risk of feeling chilly.
- Green: relaxing, refreshing - Currently the most popular decorating color, green symbolizes nature. It is the easiest color on the eye and can improve vision. It is a calming, refreshing color. People waiting to appear on TV sit in "green rooms" to relax.
- Yellow: joy, happy, open - Cheerful sunny yellow, even a pale yellow, is an attention getter. Yellow enhances concentration, hence its use for legal pads. It also speeds metabolism.
- Orange: endurance, happy, powerful - evokes excitement, enthusiasm and is an energetic color. While not a good idea for a living room or for bedrooms, this color is great for an exercise room. It will bring out all the emotions that you need released during your fitness routine.
While there are many different colors you can utilize when considering the interior or exterior of your home, these are the most common. Each color is going to have a different effect on you or someone else differently, but these are the general feelings that occur. Either way, you may want to consider the best color and how it affects your mood when looking into paint colors and the area you are looking to paint.
Realize these general guidelines are a good starting point in your search for a paint color. But remember that color choice is a very personal matter. You are the one who has to live with your new paint color, so choose a hue that suits you, your family and your lifestyle.
For help with making the “right” color selections, whether inside or out, and getting the most professional job with application AND color, call or email us TODAY!